The principals voice booms
over the settling students like a civil defense siren forewarning an air strike
of evaluation. The rules are read out to us but whiz by me like bullets as I
cling to every fact I had studied off of my course review sheet the night
before. I Rush to the first page of questions with a naive battle cry and a
fatalist attitude hoping it would be enough to survive the final. Unsolved
questions lay scattered across the page like fallen comrades crying for an
answer. Unable to believe my eyes I Look up at the giant clock that looms over the
silent gymnasium and see the reflection of the unprepared look around at their
fellow sleep deprived; unanimously everyone’s thoughts harmonizing in one big realization that we should have paid attention while we still had the chance. I continue to
look around as my silent plea for aid to the screaming questions on my paper echoes
throughout my mind. My unpreparedness for this crucial moment is seeping out of
my pores in a toxic sheen that hugs my body like Kevlar. The stress of not
knowing half of the topics so far and the future fear of still not knowing what’s
to follow intensify my nerves as I start to tap my foot in time to my racing
pulse. Wanting to just wave the white flag and surrender my chances of passing,
I lay my head down and think of the grades waiting for me on the other side of
this battle. They wave in excitement as cheer me on, reminding me there’s only
one more page left to go. Coming out of the mirage, my blood boils as I hurl
myself through the unknown. My parched throat begs for more water as I gulp
down the liquid as if it were the knowledge that I need. Dodging the teachers exacting
stares, I head into battle for the last time. Hardly being able to keep myself
upright I continue my trek through the lead covered bubble sheets and fields of
foolscap that litter my desk; unsolved questions lay scattered across the page
like fallen comrades. Fully loaded clips of rapid fire multiple choice questions
are the only obstacles blocking my path to freedom. The exhaustion of studying
countless borrowed notes clearly noticeable on my shell shocked face. My last
gust of black ink is just enough to make it through the essay questions just as
the 3 hour mark is about to ring. Saluting the questions I failed to answer, I
limp out of that exam in a dazed state of completion and a war torn mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment